Read time: 1 minute 40 seconds
Make your written information easier to understand for everyone.
- Dorota is the Chief Executive of an Australian Government department. Dorota needs to grasp key information quickly for a parliamentary request. Dorota doesn't have time to read complex government documents, reports or policies.
- Marlee lives in Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara. Access to internet connection is limited. Like Dorota, Marlee just needs to grasp key information quickly. Marlee doesn't have time to read complex government documents, reports or policies.
- Kala has a learning disability. Kala needs to be able to understand information about their university admission. People with learning disability need access to all types of information. Not just disability-specific information.
- Areeb is not fluent in English. Easy read helps Areeb understand important information about a community event.
- Kris has dyslexia. Kris finds the structure of easy read helps to process information.
What is easy read?
Information presented in easy read benefits everyone.
This is because information is made easier to understand by:
- using plain-language
- using short sentences
- telling people exactly what they need to know.
- The South Australian Government wrote this guide.
- When you see the word ‘we’, it means the South Australian Government.
Pictures can also used to support the meaning of words.
Lots of people find easy read useful:
- People are busy and need to understand information quickly.
- Easy read helps people with learning disability understand information easily.
- Easy read can also be helpful for:
- people who are not familiar with English
- people with dyslexia
- people with low literacy.
Read about our journey and how we identified a need for an easy read policy guide.
Producing easy read materials
- Consider commissioning easy read versions of your publications from an expert organisation. We can help with this. Email us at email@example.com.
- Thinking about developing your own? Start with the Australian Government's easy read guide.
Easy read examples
Learn more about the broad benefits
Watch World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) video on the importance of creating understandable content (54 seconds):
- Easy read photo library (Photosymbols) - subscription service
- Communication board and easy read photo library (Show Me Images) - subscription service
- Tips for writing easy read documents (Scottish Accessible Information Forum)