Read time: 1 minute 40 seconds
Make your written information easier to understand for everyone.
- In 2019 we asked for feedback on our Online Accessibility Policy.
- We asked people from the community and staff (from all levels of government in Australia).
- We learnt people prefer our easy read format compared to our traditional format.
- We also identified:
- broader benefits for the community
- how policy design can be improved
What is easy read?
Consider your audience. Easy read isn't designed to give a lot of background information.
Easy read gives the reader essential information on a topic.
This information is made easier to understand by using:
- short sentences
Thank you for your letter about your poster.
We need to see the poster before we put it up.
This is because it must not upset anyone.
Pictures are also used to support the meaning of the words.
The South Australian Government wrote this guide.
When you see the word ‘we’, it means the South Australian Government.
Lots of people find easy read useful:
- People are busy and need to understand information quickly. The majority of people don't have time to read complex documents, reports or policies.
- Easy read helps people with learning disability understand the information easily. People with learning disability need access to all types of information. Not just disability-specific information.
- Easy read can also be helpful for:
- people who are not familiar with English
- people with dyslexia
Learn more about the broad benefits. Watch World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) video on the importance of creating understandable content (54 seconds):
Producing easy read materials
- Consider commissioning easy read versions of your publications from an expert organisation. The Office for Digital Government can help you with this. Email email@example.com.
- Thinking about developing your own? Start with North Yorkshire County Council's downloadable guide to producing easy read.
Easy read examples
- Easy read example 1: South Australian Government Online Accessibility Policy
- Easy read example 2: Access to Work (GOV.UK)
- Easy read photo library (Photosymbols) - subscription service
- Communication board and easy read photo library (Show Me Images) - subscription service
- Tips for writing easy read documents (Scottish Accessible Information Forum)
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
Last update: 27 December 2019, minor edits.