Read time: 45 seconds
Is everyone able to access your social media post?
Why it's important
- Bindi is deaf. Bindi can watch the video posted on social media but cannot listen to the audio. This means Bindi cannot join in the social media conversation about the video content.
- Caitlin is blind. To understand the contents of the image you've posted on social media, Caitlin relies on a screen reader to read image alt text.
Steps to take
- Read the Australian Network on Disability article on how to write more accessible social media posts. It contains quick tips and a detailed guide to help improve access to images, video and readability.
- Read the US Government toolkit for a guide to improving the accessibility of social media in government.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- 1.1 Text Alternatives (Guideline)
- 1.4.5 Images of Text
- 1.2.2 Captions (Prerecorded) (Understanding 1.2.2)
- 1.2.3 Audio Description or Media Alternative (Prerecorded) 1.2.3 (Understanding 1.2.3)
- 3.1.5 Reading Level
Last update: 19 July 2019, first published.