Reading time: 50 seconds
Have you identified which images are meaningful and which images are decorative in mockups?
- Aiguo’s page didn’t load all the way and didn’t get to download the images.
- Amanda is blind and uses a braille reader to understand the contents of images.
- Julie turns off images due to only having low bandwidth available in rural and remote locations
- John is looking for information with a search engine and needs help being directed to the right content (descriptive alt tags will improve search).
Steps to take
- Images that are purely decorative shouldn’t be announced by the screen reader, work with your front end developer to make sure they’re coded correctly.
- Images that have meaning should include alt text and possibly a longer description, work with the content designer on your team to create these.
- Making sure any text in images of text is at least 14 points and has good contrast.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
Page last updated: 15 June 2020